Tuesday, May 26, 2009

More Pollen and Comb Production

On Memorial Day, May 25, 2009 I suited up and lit the smoker to open the hive to check on my bees. I wanted to check on their sugar supply and see how comb production was coming. I began by smoking the outside of the hive and blowing smoke into the entrances. I then lifted the cover and began removing top bars about a third of the way in until I came across the first bar with comb on it. To state it in a cliche, my bees are simply the bee's knees! They are doing a great job of building comb. I have approximately 6 bars of comb building in progress. It is certainly a beautiful site. The best part about their comb production is that it is all natural! Natural material and natural size leads most experts to conclude that this combination gives the bees the best chance to resisting varroa mites. I'm certainly excited about what is to come. Below are two pictures of their production.

8 comments:

  1. What does the smoke do in regards to the bees?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It calms them. Essentially it makes them believe their hive is on fire, so they concentrate on gorging themselves on honey and forgetting about the intruder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't gorging on the honey bad for them though? Do you have to limit yoru visits? Can you enter and check on the hives without the smoke or do you risk pissing them off?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It would probably equate to us going to a buffet and accepting the challenge "all you can eat" for one night. You are only supposed to visit them once every couple weeks. You probably could enter without the smoke, but your chances of getting stung would rise.

    I only suit up and use the smoke if I am lifting the lid and removing the bars. I typically go out a couple times a week to observe and usually get as close as a few inches from the hive. I did this yesterday and when I turned around to leave I had about a dozen bees behind me. Evidently I was blocking their way into the entrance.

    My whole opinion on the agressiveness of bees has changed since I started keeping them. Of course, I do have the Italian breed which is known for their mild temperment. I have wondered, however, how come they have never bred a "French" breed. You would think everytime you opened the hive a French breed they would fly the other way and avoid confrontation at all costs. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Snicker!!! Really and waving little white flags!

    You say your opinion on the aggressiveness of the bees has changed. Are they more aggressive than you thought or less?

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you opened up their hive while not using the smoker, would the bees interpret that as a sign of aggression or interpret that as an attack on their hive?

    ReplyDelete