Monday, May 18, 2009

Comb Production and Pollen

Follow up after introduction:

A few days after I introduced the bees to the hive I went back out in full regalia, and smoker in hand, to inspect the progress of the queen's escape from her cage and to remove the bee cage from the hive. I wish I had brought my camera, but honestly I was more concerned with working the hive for the first time and ensuring that I didn't get stung. To my surprise the bees were quite calm and apparently oblivious to my presence. I do, however, expect this to change once the honey flow begins.

The quick progress of the bees with their comb production in such a small amount of time was simply amazing, and I couldn't help but to feel proud. If it had not been for my needless nervousness I think I would have shouted "them's my bees!" ;-) On two of the top bars the bees are off to a nice start producing the comb, and with the flowers and crops beginning the prime blooming time, comb is certainly in high demand.

The Bees are bringing pollen! I had the day off from work today and while trying to get some chores done around the yard I ventured back to the hive to check on the bees from a distance. I was well please to see a bee with pollen packed into the sacks of her legs. The more I watched the entrance of the hive the more bees I saw with pollen on their legs. This pollen will primarily be used to feed the bee larvae that the queen has laid. This is certainly good news as it tells me the hive is progressing well. I took a picture of one of the bees entering the hive with her leg sacks stuffed with pollen. Hopefully you can make it out in the picture.


I plan to open the hive soon for another inspection and I will be sure to have my camera in hand to capture images of comb, brood, and bees.


Life and liberty,

John

1 comment: